Sunday, June 6, 2010

Home Rules!

Ok...so..I'm too broke to eat out most days. Home rules because making most of my meals has improved my health significantly. If I could I'd eat desserts and fried foods at every meal. I love french fries, fried chicken, cheesy greasy anything but, there isn't enough Prilosec or coffee in the world to deal the reflux or the fatique that stuff brings on. And besides, where would I get my nutrients from?

I used to be overweight but malnourished. Now, I'm less overweight and well nourished. As it turns out I have to make at least 90% of my meals at home. I not only have to make them but I have to make sure that they are nutrient rich. How do I do this? I keep it simple. lot's of fresh greens, simply seared chicken or fish and rice, quinoa, or kasha that I make in batches. Cook up some caramelized onions, throw in some ginger or low sodium soy sauce and you're on your way.

If I stay home and prepare my meals, I can save money and get great food at a fraction of the cost. It's hard work and some days I just eat cereal with fruit for breakfast. Lately rice cakes with Peanut Butter and Jelly have come into the house as a breakfast or a snack. Low cal and very satisfying with a cup of coffee or tea. Exchange the fruit spread for a sliced banana for better nutritional value.

All and all, in order to eat healthily I've had to make some major changes. I'm sure there will be more. I continue to have energy most days, a healthier body (less weight and no more leg ulcers), and my skin looks amazing! I'm still overweight, I've got a long "weigh" to go but I'm happier and healthier. My clothes are looser, my knees don't hurt and I sleep soundly.

Next, I've got to do something about my back. I'll keep you posted.

Peace.
V

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I've also learned working with Verlie that overindulging in sugar and carbs have been making my energy levels crash. I have had such little energy over the last year but we are tinkering with my diet to include fresh veggies and fruit a little meat and grains. I am happy to say, my energy levels have increased dramatically as a result! Best, Kirsten

    ReplyDelete